[game_preservation] Found new resources!

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 11:09:06 EST 2008

The main thing I was looking for was a forum entry made a few years back
about the Playstation Musuem or Playstation preservation projects. It was a
discussion about preserving discs and how some beta discs had decayed
already due to poor quality discs. Does anyone have a link to this? I was
going to use it for the Whitepaper.

However, I found some other cool things:

I located a paper created by the University of Technology in Vienna. It is
VERY long and detailed and an excellent resource. It was made in October
2007. However, they don't appear to be aware of many existing preservation
projects, so this statement is only partially true:
"Currently no official preservation projects for console video games are
known.No government institutions are responsible for the preservation of
console
video games. Manufacturers are not responsible for making sure that their
products are preserved either. As the video game business is very unstable,
companies are going out of business all the time and material valuable for
preservation gets lost.
With the legal situation concerning emulation it is not possible to
digitally
preserve video games using emulators and copying media to di erent physical
layers without the manufacturers agreement. Awareness has to be raised at
the manufacturers of console video game systems and console video games
to reach agreements about how to preserve their work.
89"

There is no mention of Computerspiele Museum or the Internet Archive among
other projects.

http://www.ifs.tuwien.ac.at/~becker/pubs/guttenbrunner_games2007.pdf

I also found this really cool site:

http://www.unseen64.net/