[game_preservation] What Happens To Code From Failed Projects?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Sat Dec 6 19:43:49 EST 2008

Frank Cifaldi would be a guy to address this; he collects games that
were never completed, as I understand it.

Henry

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Slashdot has a vaguely preservation related topic;

> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/06/1431227

> This was an interesting response:

> "When EA shut down Earth & Beyond, there were the typical calls for

> the server software to be released. Amazingly enough, they actually

> did get a response: that the code for the backend of an MMO represents

> a huge investment by a company, and that they (EA) would not release

> the code for two basic reasons. One, access to the code (source,

> libraries, decompilable libraries, whatever) for a fully functional

> MMO would be a huge leg-up for competitors attempting to enter the

> field. Two, the code represents a base that can be used for other

> projects, and releasing a version of that base could be a liability to

> those future projects. For those two reasons, the chances of EA in any

> way supporting community-run servers would be nil.

> Not stellar news (nor surprising), but the one pseudo-official

> response I have ever actually seen. And it does make sense, to me at

> least."

> I don't know of the game myself, so is news to me (but what I'd expect

> none-the-less). Some of the other comments also have videogame related

> down). There is no one answer, which makes it all the better

> discussion to read through, although there are not many "great"

> comments - it is Slashdot after all :)

> One option should always be to release the code to a dark archive,

> certainly something to look at in the future to advocate once some

> institutions are setup well for it and can give them some PR for doing

> it :)

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602