[game_preservation] Game developers memorial page?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Jan 21 18:38:23 EST 2008

Hey,

Sounds good to me :-) I've only seen the odd few memorial webpages, such
as Eric Dybsand's page: http://www.bergs.com/InMemoryOfEricDybsand.htm -
although I don't really know many people in the industry at all, I
specifically knew of this from GameAI.com

It'd be good to have a page dedicated to this, the wiki would be apt and
would allow people to add memorial notes if they so wanted. If the
future IGDA site has the facility, it'd be better to have it on pages
with a comments field since the main eulogy likely won't be altered over
time.

I can whip up a basic wiki page setup (such as page names, location); do
layout (picture place, headings); but it'll take me a few weeks to start
since I'm in the start of university semester exams. I can probably get
it done after Feburary 5th or so, I have some spare days there. The only
problem: I can do /nothing /about the data, since I know no obituary
database or existing source of information, perhaps except for some
limited stuff on Wikipedia. If it was to be of any use, either putting
it up as and when, or asking me to do it via. email would be the likely
avenues of getting it usable.

I'll use Erik's page as a "base", at least if I get permission.

Oh, and on the credits/preservation crossover - it's more then this SIG
can handle, since I'm having trouble writing some basics for the Digital
Game Canon pages - only 10 games worth of stuff! I think this is
manageable with contributions since, unlike games, we don't have
hundreds of thousands of people and games to add at once :-)

It is certainly also data which is more apt for a database (thus my
earlier comment on "eulogy's don't change much") - Mobygames has it
partially right (although misses a ton of things like arcade games for
starters, and see my PS below), since a wiki is *really hard* to add
relationships in. IE: There is no way but to *manually* cross reference
things, a big pain!

I also don't see why promenent related people to the industry (card
games, board games, puzzle games, any related research such as AI or
game theory, etc.) couldn't be added, since for many, I am sure there is
a crossover on design/work/ideas/ideals.

Andrew

PS: Mobygames is annoyingly rubbish for developer information, and
contains nothing about the persons living/dead status, birth date or
anything else, and only contains people credited with a game - some
people do research who are never mentioned on Mobygames or work in
organisations (or contracting organisations) rather then produce them
directly, which is a pain!

I wonder if it is worth asking them to improve it, but I don't even know
how it all runs - it's not entirely "free" and so forth.