[game_preservation] Long-Term Storage

Jerome McDonough jmcdonou at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 1 13:06:04 EDT 2008

A little late, but my two bits on a couple of issues.

In terms of hardware architecture for data archives, there is no one-
size-fits-all solution, or we wouldn't need storage architects.
There are data archives that still keep a fair amount of material on
off-line tape, and in low use environments serving a local community,
that can be fine. Increasing use generally favors disk over tape,
and needs for frequent or large-scale migration typically favor disk
over tape (since in large-scale migrations, your major concern is
throughput -- you don't want a new migration to start just as your
old one is ending, because it took so long to process all the data).
Additional considerations that figure in are the need for geographic
dispersion of backup copies (you Californians have your earthquakes,
we midwesterners have our tornados), and (probably most important)
maintenance costs for storage including equipment replacement,
energy, and staffing.

In terms of file systems, many of us in the digital library/
preservation community have been tracking ZFS for some time. Built-
in error detection and correction and open source win big points from
the preservation perspective, and for data archives handling large
data files (uncompressed high quality digital video, for example),
doing away with partition size limits is also a win.

"Dark archives" are usually operating under rules which forbid
*public* release of information, but which do allow the archive
itself to take necessary actions to insure the data's continuing
viability and accessibility in the future. So, the archive can test
software to see if it's working, yes, but if the content is dark due
to copyright restrictions, they can't let their users examine it,
only staff. As a side note, most archives accepting 'dark' material
will want a signed donation agreement with the copyright holder
pinning down the exact terms and conditions covering the
accessibility of the material (a copyright holder may be willing to
negotiate restricted access before the term of copyright is up under
a variety of conditions), so dark materials can actually involve far
more up-front labor on the part of the archive to accession than
other material without the access restrictions. In the real world,
where archives have limited funds, this does mean that there is a
balancing act between accepting dark material which you may think has
high long term value and unrestricted material which may have less,
but involves less work to acquire.

Our naval analogy here is rather fun, and I'm in complete agreement
with Henry that instead of thinking along the lines of a battleship
vs. 10 PT boats, the question is how do we orchestrate all of the
elements of a 'carrier group' to effectively preserve games. The
game community has already done a great deal of work, without
significant institutional support, to gather materials documenting
games and their history and to develop tools like emulators to keep
games accessible; small, nimble PT boats can do a lot. The question
for Library of Congress and other major institutions with an interest
in archiving games is what type of infrastructure can we put in place
that will build upon and support those efforts, and how do we go
about doing that? To press the analogy to the breaking point, if the
Library of Congress builds an aircraft carrier, we don't want to see
it swamp and sink all of the PT boats when it's launched.

On the 'what are we preserving and how are we preserving it' issue,
*why* are we preserving it is perhaps even more fundamental. The
approaches one might take to preserving something as complex as a
game could vary significantly depending on how the 'why' question is
answered.