[game_preservation] General computing museums/projects

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Jul 22 18:20:09 EDT 2008

Hey all,

I am going to partially revamp the Projects/Links/whatevers page, here:
http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Projects

One way is to have a new page which only contains general computing
history museums/physical archives/etc. These are of course important for
the sole fact most of the things they are preserving play games. Another
is to add similar groups to our own - advocacy or practical groups that
aim to preserve computers or videogames (I intend to see what the CCS
<http://computerconservationsociety.org/> is up to, which I only found
out about today, for instance. Man, if only our initials were not G-P-S,
haha, which is a tad common to use as shorthand!).

I need to know them all though! I've found a few UK ones (randomly found
some good links as well as the CSS link, I am obviously terrible at
finding things going on in my own country), and there are already a few
on the page already.

If anyone knows any physical computer history archives, web links are a
good idea with a short description too, I'd love to know. I'll search
Google myself, but there are bound to be ones in non-English speaking
countries and other places.

This will also help this project
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Contributions> since I
will also contact the respective places looking for all those who
actively can accept and properly store hardware, software and document
material from game developers.

Thanks all,