[game_preservation] General computing museums/projects

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 22 19:02:15 EDT 2008

Hi Andrew,

the Computer History Museum's PDP-1/Spacewar! projects should have a
mention on this page. Should I just add that on the page or would
you prefer to coordinate? Also, CHM should be mentioned on the second page.

Henry

At 03:20 PM 7/22/2008, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>Hey all,

>I am going to partially revamp the Projects/Links/whatevers page,

>here:

><http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Projects>http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Projects

>One way is to have a new page which only contains general computing

>history museums/physical archives/etc. These are of course important

>for the sole fact most of the things they are preserving play games.

>Another is to add similar groups to our own - advocacy or practical

>groups that aim to preserve computers or videogames (I intend to see

>what the <http://computerconservationsociety.org/>CCS is up to,

>which I only found out about today, for instance. Man, if only our

>initials were not G-P-S, haha, which is a tad common to use as shorthand!).

>I need to know them all though! I've found a few UK ones (randomly

>found some good links as well as the CSS link, I am obviously

>terrible at finding things going on in my own country), and there

>are already a few on the page already.

>If anyone knows any physical computer history archives, web links

>are a good idea with a short description too, I'd love to know. I'll

>search Google myself, but there are bound to be ones in non-English

>speaking countries and other places.

>This will also help

><http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Contributions>this

>project since I will also contact the respective places looking for

>all those who actively can accept and properly store hardware,

>software and document material from game developers.

>Thanks all,

>Andrew

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004