[game_preservation] Vimeo Bans Game Play Footage

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Jul 23 10:31:23 EDT 2008

Hmm, I don't use the site much, but this is rather sad news. Sad in a
pathetic way mainly.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/07/23/video-hosting-site-bans-game-play-footage-not-quotcreative-expressionquot

The opinions stated from Spinfocalypse pretty much ring true. I think
this has just the rounds of "it's taking too much space and not enough
people are viewing it" rather then any serious copyright concerns. I'd
love to know how many videos get taken down - the only ones recently
I've even heard of is EA and the Creature Creator which is dubious at
best, although no one will bother contesting a DMCA notice for it. So,
it seems like a business decision thinly veiled as "copyright concerns"
so people don't bring up the fact Vimeo are obviously stating: "We are
pretty crap at hosting video. Really. We can't even host these kinds of
video, because they are too /long/". Dear me...

I'll be outreaching the IA initiatives regarding in-game footage once I
finish some other uploading work on the to do list. I am pretty sure the
IA has received no such notices either. This further shows such online
sharing sites are certainly not worth a second thought when it comes to
"longevity", and it'd be important enough to warrant some work now to
get some major stuff setup on the IA, hopefully by the people who make
it themselves.