[game_preservation] Vimeo Bans Game Play Footage

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Wed Jul 23 21:53:40 EDT 2008

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Hmm, I don't use the site much, but this is rather sad news. Sad in a

> pathetic way mainly.

> http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/07/23/video-hosting-site-bans-game-play-footage-not-quotcreative-expressionquot

> The opinions stated from Spinfocalypse pretty much ring true. I think

> this has just the rounds of "it's taking too much space and not enough

> people are viewing it" rather then any serious copyright concerns. I'd

> love to know how many videos get taken down - the only ones recently

> I've even heard of is EA and the Creature Creator which is dubious at

> best, although no one will bother contesting a DMCA notice for it. So,

> it seems like a business decision thinly veiled as "copyright concerns"

> so people don't bring up the fact Vimeo are obviously stating: "We are

> pretty crap at hosting video. Really. We can't even host these kinds of

> video, because they are too /long/". Dear me...

Hey, it's their site and they can make whatever rule they want. Period.

There definitely are technical issues with serving Flash videos that are
too long, especially with the way that most sites do it.

For my part, I'm still trying to come up with a better coding method for
video game footage.

--
-Mike Melanson