[game_preservation] Open Sourcing MMO's that have "died"

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Jul 23 18:05:10 EDT 2008

Yes, the medium of video and audio probably better preserves the /state/
of MMO's, but there is a lot of information that can be gleaned from the
actual assets. If World of Warcraft were to close tomorrow, I doubt any
wiki or database is 100% complete and accurate, so you could go into it
and get the same feeling or see the same things as a player would.

If the games were even just dark archived or whatever, it'd allow
historians at least to see what exactly the game constituted of, even if
it lacks the players. This goes for any multiplayer game - look, we
preserve /pong/ for the same reasons - without a second play it is
nothing but it still matters! :-)

The problem also is since MMO's are obviously tied to a server model
that does not allow a historian to actually even play the game without
connecting to a server, once these go down, they disappear forever and
are made completely unplayable. While some multiplayer games do this too
(EA Sport ones come to mind, although they might include LAN and IP
variants of multiplayer) most allow LAN or other play which requires no
connection to a "master" server, allowing it to be viewed years further on.

In any case, even if there is no one to play it, the model they employ
makes it the worst kind to archive, which is obviously why the virtual
world project is so important of course :-)

Andrew