[game_preservation] Open Sourcing MMO's that have "died"

Captain Commando evilcowclone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 18:12:34 EDT 2008

Yeah, I can see how that works. There is always a lack of data - while I
have a feeling SOE has a complete list of assets SOMEWHERE for EQ, I know
it's not very well organized as we had problems getting the information when
I was working on a TCG based on the game. A fan site may then be the best,
but still incomplete, archive of all that material (and thankfully all that
should be discoverable through the IA).

Regarding getting the server to run, you could probably just set up a fake
server and run the whole thing off of there. This would require getting
inside the black box of the game, though, and I doubt there would be many
companies willing to take that risk, even if the program is good and dead
(what's to stop them from worrying about whether or not somebody will steal
everything and set up a rogue server?). I know that these things can be
faked, considering how Warp Pipe managed to get the Gamecube running over
LAN for things like Mario Kart. I should think working with a virtual world
would be somewhat more complex, but still analogous.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando