[game_preservation] Open Sourcing MMO's that have "died"

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Jul 23 18:18:05 EDT 2008

People have setup fake servers without the source code before. Or
they've got a leaked old version and still got it to work, who knows?
Some servers got shut down (EQ ones?) by someone I recall.

For a competent coder it'd probably not take too much effort to sort it
into a workable state, and the developers would also, obviously, have
copies of the game or code which can access the world sans players, sans
server, for debugging and testing (or at least, a version which requires
no big authentication server, etc.)

The technical problems are therefore nil. I'd say it is more a
philosophical one - if they want to release it totally open (as the
article I posted suggests) there are reasons why Id do that for their
games and others don't - as the article says. But the other option like
I mentioned is to dark archive or private archive it, so select
archivists and historians can access the game but the source code is
kept under wraps.

Hell, even just the game server files and no source code, most companies
would balk at. The effort, the time and the money involved, even before
the possible need to keep it for IP rights or if they want to reuse it
in the future or fear people will use it for bad things, are what put
them off.

But then again I've not talked to anyone at these companies about this!
Henry is obviously doing that front, it'll be nice to see what comes out
of the virtual worlds project, especially if some better way of getting
the assets archived is achieved.

Andrew