[game_preservation] Abandonware

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon Jun 16 02:08:29 EDT 2008

Greg Boyd wrote:

> 2. The rights holder has to know about it (unlikely in abandonware).

My abandonware site was the first ever to receive a cease and desist
notice (from the IDSA, as they were known back then). That was in 1997,
so I would assume they definitely know about it.

> 3. The rights holder has to be upset about it. (often they don't care

> or are happy that someone cares enough to archive a game).

This is definitely not the case for Nintendo or EA, I have seen them go
after even the slightest infringement (aka ROMs).

> I am NOT saying this is 100% OK, but I am saying that rational behavior

> and imperfect knowledge makes the risk of this turning into a real legal

> problem for a non-profit legitimate archiver usually pretty low.

I agree, which is why I never had any pretenses starting the abandonware
movement. Sending out a C&D letter is cheap, but after that, like you
said it's from $4K to $50K to take it to the next step and most
abandonware infringement doesn't warrant that kind of cost.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/