[game_preservation] Gary Gygax passed away

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Mar 8 13:02:47 EST 2008

I'll add it as a link, thanks! (it's in list form however, sigh). I
won't add your comment however ;)

Still looking for a *biography/eulogy* if anyone knows of a suitable one
(who I can contact the author for permission to reproduce) or want to
write a short one for it, please say :)

Andrew

Captain Commando wrote:

> Andrew,

> 1UP has a special on the top 5 things they think Gary did for games:

> http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3166835

> However, the whole reduction to numbers bit came from Stat-o-Matic

> Baseball and was a facet of computer programming through the 50s,

> particularly if you look at Cold War simulations (and it still

> underlies the overly optimistic concept that one can digitize the

> whole world). But so much for nitpicking - stats-based character

> sheets is what they really meant to say!

> -DM

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

> Okay everyone, I've put up the page;

> http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials/Gary_Gygax

> *Biography/Eulogy still needed*, and you can email me directly if

> you want to add direct comments or something (or edit them in

> yourselves if you can at the bottom of the page) please do.

> I also added Greg Bick for those that know him, with a

> biography/eulogy provided kindly by Sim:

> http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials/Greg_Bick

> Andrew

> Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>> Right, I'll keep a note that your interested if I can't obtain

>> another eulogy, I'll try and get a page setup tonight (along with

>> another for Greg Bick who is a Canadian developer who passed away

>> recently too, who I have talked to someone about).

>> Andrew

>> Henry Lowood wrote:

>>> Andrew,

>>> I hadn't heard about that -- big news and I hope we can organize

>>> a memorial page or obtain permission to use information from

>>> another site. I'm about to leave on a short trip, but if any

>>> help with his page is needed next week, I'm happy to pitch in.

>>> Henry

>>> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>;

>>> http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Elowood>