[game_preservation] Arthur C. Clarke dies, aged 90

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Tue Mar 18 21:54:56 EDT 2008

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> No, what I meant was, does Mobygames list people who did not directly

> work on a game? They seem to list some people who are "thanked" but as

> Billy said, Dave Arneson isn't in the database, despite being the

> co-creator of D&D and a academic highly related to the industry. Gary

> Gygax is on there luckily due to some "Thanks" credits - he'd never be

> on there usually since he didn't like videogames and wouldn't have

> directly worked on one.

> So, does Mobygames accept people who cannot be directly linked to a game

> despite being a high influencer, academic or related person? That's what

> I don't know. If we ever got to the stage of doing a similar but more

> in-depth database, it's be something to look at.

No, MobyGames currently only documents who worked on a game. Keeping
our scope well-defined helps eliminate a lot of logistical nightmares.

> * To recognise the contribution these people made to the industry.

> * To allow people to comment on the memorial.

> * To have a centralised area where these are recorded, rather then them

> being spread out over the internet and news sites.

I think a centralized wiki, sponsored by the IGDA, would best serve this
purpose. That way, each person's individual contribution can be
documented without needing to be linked to any particular game.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/