[game_preservation] Arthur C. Clarke dies, aged 90

Captain Commando evilcowclone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 00:22:50 EDT 2008

I must admit that I'd gotten a bit distracted as to why this SIG was started
in the first place: to record information not only about people like Gary
Gygax and Eric Dysband, but also Arthur C. Clarke. With Clarke, I didn't
know enough about his games work, and as GI Joe says, Knowing is half the
battle.

Andrew, I've gotten my IGDA account renewed, so I should have access to the
Wiki again (getting them to change my username though, that's probably going
to be a problem...). Tomorrow I'll try and write up a separate document
highlighting some basic points from this discussion and also try to put some
work into some of the memorials. The separate document should be a draft or
outline of several of the key issues the SIG will have to deal with.

The more I look at all this information, the more I think that perhaps this
will serve as a memorial as much as a cultural database about the industry,
the good, the bad, what we are. It's not about canonizing the 'elite' but
about remembering everyone in the community or those influential people
outside of games who knowingly or unknowingly shaped what the medium is
today.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando