[game_preservation] Memorial Wiki 'white paper' draft

Stuart Feldhamer stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:19:06 EDT 2008

Some other suggestions for memorials:

Douglas Adams

Silas Warner

Roy Conrad:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,4744/

_____

From: game_preservation-bounces at igda.org
[mailto:game_preservation-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Captain Commando
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:56 PM
To: IGDA Game Preservation SIG
Subject: Re: [game_preservation] Memorial Wiki 'white paper' draft

Also be aware that those three questions in the document are important and
still open for discussion. Hopefully we can get things cleared up.

In addition, I have additions to the list of developers who will need
memorials. I am thinking we may be able to contact individuals who have
already written and ask for their input, particularly considering I know
absolutely nothing about many of these people. I think there may be a couple
other recent deaths that aren't on this list, too.

If anyone has started working on a Gary Gygax memorial, let me know. I'm
trying to write one, but it's actually pretty difficult - every time I try
and write something he just seems dwarfed by Dungeons and Dragons. The
biggest thing to get across isn't just that he made the game but that he was
always friendly, happy, and supportive to those who played his games and
would enjoy hearing how D&D made their lives better. I also would like to
write a nice memorial for Gunpei Yokoi, partly in relation to my work at the
Metroid Database.

-DM

Memorials:

Bruce Carver (Dec 28, 2005; age 57)

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=7692

Alan Kotok (May 26, 2006; age 64)

Spacewar innovator

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9614

Kelly Turner (Sept 18, 2005)

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6592

Tomoharu Saito (July 29, 2006)

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10288

Mark 'Chip' VanDeVelde (February 18, 2006)

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8257

Danielle Bunten Berry (Feb 19, 1949 - July 3, 1998; age 49)

M.U.L.E., The Seven Cities of Gold.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/game_design/19980717/danielle_berry.htm

Richard Knerr

Bobby Fischer

Kyle Mannerberg

http://rememberingkyle.blogspot.com/

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>
wrote:

Captain Commando wrote:

> The content has been uploaded.

Great, looks good!

I'll sort something for the other procedures I mentioned hopefully this
week, and put them up and link all the things together.

Everyone; this is ongoing, so it's all subject to change if it's needed

:) comments always welcome, although this is really just saving everyone

work (ie; we don't put up a page about everyone's dog) apart from the 3
core reasons for doing the project.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando