[game_preservation] Rock, Paper, Shotgun: The RPSchive

Stuart Feldhamer stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:09:53 EDT 2008

<rant>
This is the first I've heard of RPS, but that photo on the top of the page
of their "collection", with basically everything there a rerelease, doesn't
exactly inspire me with confidence. Give some love to the packaging! Isn't
that part of the preservation? Or do we just care about the bits on the CD
(and only CDs, because whoever runs that site doesn't have access to a
floppy drive).

I was also a bit annoyed by this line: "Oddly, there isn't currently much
value attached to old PC games - I was dismayed to discover that I'd be
lucky to get a tenner for my treasured, still-shrinkwrapped copy of Dungeon
Keeper." Yeah, well, that's because I used to see shrinkwrapped copies of
Dungeon Keeper priced at $1.99 just begging to be taken off the shelves of
Electronics Boutique back in the day. There are quite a lot of old PC games
that have considerably more "value", in the monetary sense, than Dungeon
Keeper. Not to mention that it's a stretch to even call Dungeon Keeper "old"
compared to some of the other stuff that's out there.
</rant>

Stuart

_____