[game_preservation] AMAZING collection of E3 '95 videos!

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Mon Mar 31 16:00:32 EDT 2008

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> I'll note these down and check to see if I can find the companies who

> own the copyrights.

> (This is an excellent example of why the things need preserving in the

> first place, if a lot of these are done by now defunct companies, haha).

According to my notes in a blog post:

http://games.multimedia.cx/quantum-gate/

the key points are:

* Quantum Gate by Hyperbole Studios
* Greg Roach was in charge
* Website ( http://www.hyperbole.com/ ) has not been updated since 2002

> Also; forgot to mention, you implemented the FFMPEG reader for the Sega

> Saturn (and possibly used in other things) video file format, that's

> totally awesome :-) will make checking out them a lot easier, so thanks :-)

And I should probably mention that I love researching and hacking on
obscure multimedia formats, and documenting them in a wiki, especially
when they come from old FMV-heavy games. I pretty much wrote the book on
the Sega CPK format:

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Sega_FILM

No FMV format is too obscure! :) So if you have any making-of videos
that are encoded in a game's own custom, proprietary format, there is
hope. There are bunch of weirdos like me who enjoy figuring this stuff
out. Here are the game formats we know about (a bunch are supported in
FFmpeg):

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Category:Game_Formats

And if you know of other formats, do let me know.

--
-Mike Melanson