[game_preservation] Preservation Whitepaper Brainstorm Progress

Stuart Feldhamer stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 00:08:47 EST 2008

Andrew,

I read this stuff a long time ago and at the time, I had some insightful
comments. Unfortunately, I've since forgotten most of them. : )

However, one point I wanted to make that I didn't see expressed on the wiki
as well as I would have liked is that game preservation needs to be about
more than preserving the bits. You do mention preserving ancillary
documentation such as design journals and the like, but what isn't there is
the fact that most of the older games were packaged not only with manuals
(which themselves are exceedingly rare nowadays), but also with "feelies"
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feelies). Feelies provided another level
of immersion into the game world that complemented actually booting up the
disk and playing the game. When preserving games, all the supporting
materials need to be preserved as well. They are critical for enjoying and
appreciating the older games as they were intended to be experienced by
their creators.

Stuart