[game_preservation] Let's Play collection at the Internet Archive

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Nov 7 14:48:43 EST 2008

We now have a Let's Play <http://www.archive.org/details/lets-play>
collection at the Internet Archive, for all those videos that are
getting popular where someone plays through a game with commentary. I
contacted the Let's Play Archive <http://www.letsplayarchive.com/>,
who's admin was willing to upload at least the videos he was able to get
from the Let's Play things available from his site (which he runs for
the SomethingAwful group). Should be good to have these available to
download and in a permanent location. Hopefully there'll be a few around
soon and I'll put the news up on the blog then.

For anyone who doesn't know what these videos are, from my (okay)

Let's Play videos show the videogame being played while the player
speaks about what he is doing in real time commentary. Generally the
playthroughs are spread over several segments of play (varying in
time). Rarely some action is done "off screen" or speeded up to not
get too repetitive, but in most cases the playthrough is a complete
run of the game including all "Game Overs" and deaths. The videos
are a usually humorous way to learn about a videogame without having
to play it.

Let's Play Trespasser <http://www.archive.org/details/LPTrespasser> was
the test case (and might still be finalising in the IA's system, but can
be watched now).

I'll also try and source some additional videos, and if anyone has any
sources for these (or does them themselves) contacting me or the Let's
Play Archive can get them up there.

Finally, thanks to Simon for helping get this up and for saying to
research it :-) If I find any other major videogame video communities
I'll be sure to try for collections or uploads for them too.