[game_preservation] Older versions of Programs

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Oct 12 19:18:42 EDT 2008

Possibly the Internet Archive perhaps (although searching through it is
a chore, a dedicated collection might help). They've got a software
collection, no doubt you could get permission to upload the files:
http://www.archive.org/details/software (the CLASP collection is a
dark-archive, but the main software page seems to be downloadable files).

At least in that respect it'd be freely available and not likely to
disappear based on bandwidth concerns or anything :)

I'll note down the other suggestions ready for an update to our links
page, btw. The FTP you suggested I couldn't get on to check (5 users
max) so I'll check it out later.

Andrew

Jim Leonard wrote:

> Adding to this, I have a complete dump of Microprose's BBS/FTP which

> has patches for pretty much everything they made. However, I'm just

> one person; hopefully there is someplace someone can recommend I

> upload it...

> Captain Commando wrote:

>> Well, this is a start. It doesn't contain a WIDE range of games,

>> mostly popular ones (but also some odd ones like Microprose's Magic

>> the Gathering). Missing a few like Ultima, Freespace, and X-Wing vs

>> Tie Fighter that I've had to google for. In addition, it only

>> includes the most recent patches. The patch collection I am talking

>> about would have as many patch versions as possible (hopefully with

>> information on what got patched with each version). If you want to

>> preserve PC games, you really need to keep patches in mind. I

>> wouldn't be able to give you a lot of reasons for why older patches

>> would be incredibly important (unless newer patches had certain bugs

>> that weren't manifest in older patches on some hardware), but again,

>> you never know what's going to be important thirty years from now.

>> -Devin

>> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Andrew Armstrong

>> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

>> Ooh, awesome. I honestly have never seen that before, despite

>> sometimes searching for patches for a fair while. Files seem to be

>> hosted on http://dlh.net/ , interesting.

>> The site only has 383 games with patch pages, I wonder how many

>> patches they have total, hard to see from the A-Z listings (although

>> it's great to see a news archive going back to 1995, wow!)

>> Anyone got any more of these sites, please post them :)

>> Andrew

>> Stuart Feldhamer wrote:

>>> There is such an archive:

>>> http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

>>> Stuart

>>> *From:* game_preservation-bounces at igda.org

>>> <mailto:game_preservation-bounces at igda.org>

>>> Commando

>>> *Sent:* Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:41 PM

>>> *To:* IGDA Game Preservation SIG

>>> *Subject:* [game_preservation] Older versions of Programs

>>> I think OldVersion.com was listed on the resource list awhile

>>> back, but I'm going to pull it up again. This site archives old

>>> versions of computer software and utilities like Flash and Winamp.

>>> Similarly, I think it would be useful to have an archive of game

>>> patches. It's a bit difficult to locate patches for some of my

>>> http://www.oldversion.com/