[game_preservation] Bad for archival? XBLA delisting rumblings

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 11:33:26 EDT 2008

Yeah, I was curious about XBLA piracy. I assume someone's tried to crack it
(I think they've already cracked the Virtual Console, but Nintendo locks
accounts), but a quick google didn't discover anything (though I DID learn
the old news that enhanced versions of the Banjo-Kazooie N64 games were
coming to XBLA). My guess is the current best legal way of backing up would
be to purchase copies of all games about to be delisted, but even then,
you're probably not looking at more than a 10 year backup plan due to hard
drive failures (not to mention the expenses involved). The best option is
probably to contact Microsoft or the game publishers themselves in order to
get backups of the software for a black vault archive.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando