[game_preservation] Online DRM

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 1 19:20:43 EDT 2009

Correct. The original ruling was in 2000, then the renewal was in 2003
and 2006. But this three-year cycle is really impossible to maintain,
because someone needs to track the issue and organize the effort.
Inevitably, the interested parties lose track of the issue. It's crazy
to have such a short-term renewal cycle.

Henry

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

> I -believe- that was a 2006 exemption that no one re-proposed, but I'm

> not certain.

> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:25:27 -0400, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

>> Certainly point 2 below looks relevant, I'll add it to the groups

>> resources.

>>> 2. Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that

>>> have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware

>>> as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the

>>> purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published

>>> digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered

>>> obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a

>>> work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer

>>> reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.

>> Andrew

>> Andreas Lange wrote:

>>> Here:

>>> http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2006/index.html

>>> it's looks like, that the exemption is still valid (until Oct, 27.

>>> 2009)?

>>> Andreas