[game_preservation] Online DRM

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 23:58:14 EDT 2009

So this also means that any archival work that was done becomes illegal
after the exemption ends? So if somebody did a digital backup of a game
under this exhemption, they'd have to delete it? That doesn't sound like a
good system...

-Devin

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Correct. The original ruling was in 2000, then the renewal was in 2003 and

> 2006. But this three-year cycle is really impossible to maintain, because

> someone needs to track the issue and organize the effort. Inevitably, the

> interested parties lose track of the issue. It's crazy to have such a

> short-term renewal cycle.

> Henry

> Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

>> I -believe- that was a 2006 exemption that no one re-proposed, but I'm not

>> certain.

>> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:25:27 -0400, Andrew Armstrong <

>> andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

>> Certainly point 2 below looks relevant, I'll add it to the groups

>>> resources.

>>> 2. Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have

>>> Andrew

>>> game_preservation mailing list

>>> game_preservation at igda.org

> Henry Lowood, Ph.D.

> Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;

> Film & Media Collections

> HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall

> Stanford University Libraries

> Stanford CA 94305-6004