[game_preservation] Game Preservation on Facebook and LinkedIn

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:59:40 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm proposing we create an IGDA Game Preservation SIG group on both Facebook
and LinkedIn. I don't know what the official IGDA policy is towards this
stuff, so I'm CC'ing Jason a copy (sorry for the alternate e-mail, Jason).
This can be a first step towards an official game preservation network to
connect people all over the world who are interested in game preservation.
This might be much more effective than hiding in the Wiki because these
sites get much more traffic. We should actively promote this group in order
to inform game preservationists and digital preservationists out there about
our work. It should ultimately be our (ambitious) goal to have connections
through these groups from each library and archive in the world. Or close to
it.

Currently, the Video Arcade Preservation Society has a Facebook group. There
are also fan groups dedicated to a particular game (such as the Aliens
Versus Predator Preservation group). I haven't figured out what their point
is. I've yet to dig through LinkedIn to see if there are other game
preservation groups on there.

-Devin Monnens

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando