[game_preservation] Our Membership

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Apr 19 19:32:02 EDT 2009

Hey all,

From Devin's post, I meant to get around to discussing at some point if
it would be worth looking at how to get different members - I'm not sure
what our current breakdown is, actually, which makes it hard to see who
we've already attracted, and for what reasons!

In any case, should we look to getting other interested people involved?
And why would we want to? (If we even do...). One thing is that there is
no international group dedicated to videogame (or in fact, computer)
preservation, we could try and fill that gap.

There are, as far as I'm aware, few people from these groups:
- Game collectors, enthusiasts
- Game emulator creators
- Game historians
- Game history press
- Librarians, other general archivists

(I'd say we do have game preservationists, archivists, and some
historians/developers on here :) ).

We're relegated, not necessarily in a bad way, to a small niche of
computer history. I doubt general computer historians are that
interested in joining for that reason.

So, anyone think expanding membership to these groups would be a good
idea? Any opinions?

I'll be starting to gather information on the areas of preservation -
emulation, collectors, museums, and also seeing if people are interested
in joining the SIG, but I'd not want to start inviting people if they're
not welcome, or if in fact we'll have nothing to do with them.

Thanks,