[game_preservation] Bibliography project

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Apr 27 10:43:52 EDT 2009

Okay, I've sorted more of the data fields (this might not come up right,
I hope it does), comments welcome!

I am sure I am missing some useful bits (it's also very simplified -
apart from the admin side, at the start this might be all the tables -
so it's not going to be fully normalised, have no related "games" or
"theory" links, and it is probably going to be a MySQL thing, thus the
choice of data types is pretty limited - although I'll probably make
some varchar rather then text later).

Resource Data Table Field Name Data Type Data Size Description
key +VE INT 128bit (Maximum size) This identifies the entry. A int is
used to speed up lookups and so forth, and is never ever shown to
anyone, even admins. Game names change, and so do URL identifiers (if
the need arises), so this is the one bastion of "neverchanging" which
links all the names and URL's to it (as well as all other reference
tables!)
title TEXT 0 Title of the resource
local_title TEXT 0 If set, this will contain the English
translated/localised title. NB: Multilingual will need to be sorted
eventually!
author TEXT 0 Maybe VARCHAR? or allow an ID link? (can be multiple
authors!) In any case, the person, group of people or organisation who
authored the resource
date DATETIME 0 Standard date field. Allow full input (down to the
millisecond) or just a "day" or "month" or "year"
url TEXT 0 URL to the resource, if on the web.
page_count SMALLINT 0 Positive integer - number of pages in the article.
isbn VARCHAR 13 International Standard Book Number (13 digits long)
issn VARCHAR 8 International Standard Serial Number
publication_info TEXT 0 Publication information. Might be the
publisher, where it was published, who by
abstract TEXT 0 Fair use abstract from the paper
description TEXT 0 Description of the paper, if any more is necessary
over the abstract.
editors_notes TEXT 0 Editors notes for the entry - hidden from the
public
keywords TEXT 0 Keywords for the resource, like tags (so could be a
phrase) to aid searching for things outside of categorisation, probably
separated by commas or something similar.
NAMEOFFIELD DATATYPE 0 DESCRIPTION

Resource Type Category Relational Table Field Name Data Type Data
Size Description
key_resource INT 128 Joint PK with key below. This is the resource Id
the category is for.
key_resource_category INT 128 Joint PK with key above. This is the
category that is to be related to the resource.

Resource Category Type Data Table Field Name Data Type Data Size
Description
key INT 128 Primary key - uniquely identified resource category.
name TEXT 0 Resource category name. "book", "news article", "opinion
article" etc.
description TEXT 0 Textual description of the category.

Resource Content Category Relational Table Field Name Data Type Data
Size Description
key_resource INT 128 Joint PK with key below. This is the resource Id
the category is for.
key_resource_category INT 128 Joint PK with key above. This is the
category that is to be related to the resource.

Resource Content Category Type Data Table Field Name Data Type Data
Size Description
key INT 128 Primary key - uniquely identified resource content category.
name TEXT 0 Resource category name. "game history", "game culture",
"legal", "preview", "review", "discussion" - the larger tags.
description TEXT 0 Textual description of the category.

Andrew