[game_preservation] TV emulation

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Wed Apr 29 09:47:56 EDT 2009

Devin Monnens wrote:

> It's interesting too because artists don't like the scanlines (which is

> why you have the option of using them!). This focus on how the

> technology looks brings up other questions - what happens if I want to

> emulate broken hardware (say the NES 'flash' or glitched graphics)? Is

> there a point where you can try to do too much?

It's useful to note that not all NES flashing is a hardware-related.
Well, not directly. The NES video hardware is incapable of displaying
more than 8 sprites on a line. Remember all those games where the
sprites would start to flicker if there were too many sprites on a
scanline? That's because the software was toggling them on and off when
too many crowded on the same scanline. That's why the flickering will
still show up in emulators.

I remember an NES hacker who reverse engineered Konami's pseudo-random
algorithm for deciding which sprites to en/disable. Wish I could dig
that up again.

--
-Mike Melanson