[game_preservation] Soviet Game Museum

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 10:17:00 EDT 2009

Completely agreed! Russia is a dark space on the map. Slavic countries are
continuing to have a greater presence within the games industry, and so it
is important that we document the history of Soviet games to greater
understand where the design influence and inspiration behind these new games
is coming from.

BTW, I assume the GANG is keeping a good record of video recordings of their
award ceremonies? I'm still interested in the 2006 Guitar Hero performance!

-Devin

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>wrote:

> Anything would be good. The area, compared to Japan, is hardly listed in

> the history books except for Tetris, despite having a varying amount of

> industry presence, and other things happening there.

> We happily would accept articles for the SIG, if anyone is happy to write

> them :)

> Andrew

> Devin Monnens wrote:

> Ok,

> I e-mailed a couple people who might be able to get me in contact with a

> Russian-speaker locally. I also forwarded this to the Women's SIG list to

> see if anyone there spoke Russian. I think it would be a great idea if we

> got these guys on our international network of game preservationists. We

> know practically nothing about Russian games aside from Tetris and seeing

> how I don't have an e-mail connection with Alexey Pajitnov... :) They might

> be able to produce a document that discusses the history of digital games

> and the presence of digital media (especially games) preservation within the

> Soviet Union that we could then translate and add to our resources. Or maybe

> I'm thinking too big :P

> -Devin

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>> He only speaks in Russian? Well hmm... Now there ARE a few

>> Russian-speaking people at work, but I don't trust any of them. So there's

>> nobody I know well enough to ask about translation and dialogue. (Though my

>> Japanese instructor apparently knows a few words in Russian :) I can see if

>> anyone in the family knows someone who speaks Russian. This museum is

>> fantastic.

>> Do they have Facebook or LinkedIn? Do they have a website?

>> -Devin

>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>wrote:

>>> Ahh, I won't have much luck contacting him then. Hmm, a little annoying.

>>> If you have a chance to get any details in the future, or go visit at all,

>>> post about it :)

>>> Andrew