[game_preservation] Online DRM

Vowell, Zach zvowell at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 4 11:01:57 EDT 2009

This doesn't have much to do with DRM mechanisms, but it's an interesting little footnote to EA's history of copy protection....maybe call it the pre-web attitude to copying. It's a snippet from the Command Summary document found in "Robot Rascals" (published by EA in 1987):

"For your convenience, "Robot Rascals" is not copy protected so that you can easily make one backup copy for your own use, or install the program on your own RAM or hard disk. Please show us that copy protection is unnecessary -- do not give copies of this product away. Thank you." [emphasis in the original doc]

Very polite :)

Zach