[game_preservation] Online DRM

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 4 12:21:04 EDT 2009

Rachel,

In fact, I just wrote to Zach about SAA. I am only going to be there
the full day on the 13th, plus some of the evening of the 12th. But what
about meeting the afternoon of the 13th, after the game preservation
session? Maybe the group will head out for lunch together, not sure.
Or we could meet for coffee in the later afternoon.

Henry

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

> I think language like that was pretty common pre-1990 or so. I

> remember hearing the "one backup copy" line pretty frequently, back in

> the day.

> I've just noticed your email address is UT Austin, which makes me

> think -- should we try to arrange a SIG get together at SAA? Anyone

> else going? Time is tight for me, but I could probably swing lunch one

> day.

> Cheers,

> Rach

> On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:01:57 -0400, Vowell, Zach

> <zvowell at austin.utexas.edu> wrote:

>> This doesn't have much to do with DRM mechanisms, but it's an

>> interesting little footnote to EA's history of copy

>> protection....maybe call it the pre-web attitude to copying. It's a

>> snippet from the Command Summary document found in "Robot Rascals"

>> (published by EA in 1987):

>> "For your convenience, "Robot Rascals" is not copy protected so that

>> you can easily make one backup copy for your own use, or install the

>> program on your own RAM or hard disk. Please show us that copy

>> protection is unnecessary -- do not give copies of this product

>> away. Thank you." [emphasis in the original doc]

>> Very polite :)

>> Zach

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004