[game_preservation] Online DRM

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Aug 5 04:16:44 EDT 2009

Oooh, manual lookups (or in Civilization's case, Trivia questions!),
code wheels (I had one for my dad's Premier Manager - matching shirts
and shorts to make a kit with a matching number), and so forth, yeah,
fun stuff. Dissuasion yep. Better the hacking the distribution media and
technically breaking it.

Laws differ from country to country, on the credit versus refund issue.
Untested EULA's and requirement specifications on boxes (or lackthereof
here) etc. etc., wish it was more concrete... but yes, digitial
distribution as discussed isn't workable for preservation even if
compatibility issues were resolved - there is the issue of control too,
since Valve has automated, horribly supported (ie; lack of appeals),
banning processes - that ban you from the service, not a specific game,
which is a terribly bad practice, among other issues (this isn't just
Steam mind you, but other services do this too). Basically that might
come into play if a "preservation account" was hacked or somesuch. Oh
well, maybe in the future!

Andrew