[game_preservation] How studios dispose of prototypes and libraries

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Aug 21 18:01:23 EDT 2009

Interesting on the disposal front - horrible atrocities to games which
are released already exist, I'm sure there are a ton which are never
released too :) Most no doubt went further into the "

As for the second point, if we start judging history by today's
standards, or even locality by today's standards, we'd never get
anywhere. If we're islamic, we'd ban all mohammed-showing games. If
we're Christian, it'd be a hard stance on bible-problematic games. If
we're German, violence is out. There's a ton of problems without
bringing in just general historical-problematic games.

There's always someone who will hate something, so if a reason is needed
to stop "liking" or even preserving something (a medium, a specific
title or anything) there will be one, valid or not. I prefer to keep
everything around - as for sex games, which the WIG one went a bit off
on, it's a difficult situation - although in virtual form, I'm not
exactly an expert, but it's damn better something being virtual then
real I'd say - as for violent games too of course, it's all pretty
fantastical. I'm pretty impartial to things being released - whatever
the taste - I'm never of the mindset "ban it" and am quite the opposite,
which likely will conflict with a few people here, but it's the truth,
so I'd say it's all important to keep a record of :)

Andrew