[game_preservation] How studios dispose of prototypes and libraries

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:20:51 EDT 2009

Unfortunately, looks like your first part of the quote got cut off :) I
think it's an interesting discussion - for a really crappy demo like Raven
Blade, was that worth preserving? Certainly the studio has a right to
destroy their own property, but a real question is how culturally or
artistically important is the artifact and for artifacts of great
importance, does the company have a - shall we say? - responsibility to hold
onto those?

In terms of banning versus speech... Well, it's not that you're not allowed
to tell Uncle Remus stories anymore or create a film like Birth of a Nation
or show blackface, but it's culturally inappropriate to do so (and I think
this is a benefit to our society as a result). We should be treating games
with that same treatment we give film and literature. I think if we look at
violence against women in the same category, then presenting it for the sake
of presenting it and not being constructive is akin to creating a racist
game (rather than say an artwork about racism), and we should treat it as
such. But it's not like we have control over what other countries can do,
and that's a bit off-topic.