[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] September 2009

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Aug 30 06:46:53 EDT 2009

Hope everyone has had a good summer, since it appears to be now over in
the UK :(

Preservation SIG August 2009 Work

We have another archive listed in our contributions information
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Contributions>, and work
has begun on more encyclopaedic-based information on each institution
(if we're not going to record this history, who is? :) ). Bibliography
work is progressing insofar as more backend planning.

The SIG hasn't got any other ongoing projects right now, but if you are
interested, at all, in preservation to help us with our projects
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG> (and if you think
something is missing, please tell us).

Future Work for September 2009

There is bits and pieces to get on with, nothing planned this month.

Mailing List Discussions

If you've not joined our mailing list
<http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/game_preservation>, please do
so. We've never tried using our forums it seems :) we stick to
old-fangled email. This will eventually change when the IGDA site
changes over - although those wanting email can still get it.

August
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-August/thread.html>
had some small discussions - online DRM
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-August/001341.html>,
a call for some obscure footage from Gnop or Operation Desert Storm
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-August/001346.html>,
details on how the iPhone metadata information was indexed
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-August/001349.html>,
interesting info on computers self-playing games
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-August/001351.html>,
a game history related video
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-August/001355.html>
and finally a discussion on how studios dispose of prototypes and
libraries
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-August/001358.html>.

Preservation SIG Blog Updates / Links

/Have I missed anything this month? Then email it in to
preservation_news @ igda.org !/

* theLogBook.com's Classic Gaming Expo 2003 Footage DVD
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/08/thelogbookcoms.html>

* TNT Arcade Burns Down
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/08/tnt_arcade_burn.html>

* Multimedia Mike and Cataloguing iPhone Apps
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/08/multimedia_mike.html>

Final Thoughts

I've personally not invested as much time as I should be into the SIG,
partially due to other IGDA things going on - make sure, if you are an
IGDA member, to stay informed about what is happening in the org, and if
you can, help improve it too :)

The reason for this being available before the start of September, is my
trip to DiGRA <http://www.digra.org/> next week (start of September),
helping to present the SIG's white paper, as well as seeing some
fascinating talks no doubt.

Andrew Armstrong

IGDA Game Preservation SIG Site/Blog editor