[game_preservation] How studios dispose of prototypes and libraries

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Aug 22 07:54:42 EDT 2009

Tangentially related, but still important to note! There are seemingly a
large majority of games which reinforce typical stereotypes for sure.
Films and TV have this issue in the past (and still now) as well, but
games do seem to do it a lot more here and now.

Interestingly I wonder if any game systems specifically more reinforce
sterotypes (intentionally or not - like that Conan MMO "unintentionally"
hampering female avatars due to their animations!), rather then the
story - which can vary so much depending usually more on the writer and
lead designer then the entire game team. However there is a big gender
imbalance in all game development teams, so one can only guess.

Lara Croft, well, that and a few other key games certainly swing the
pendulum one way, that's for sure. I think we need some serious
investigation of stereotypes (certainly gender ones) in past games. I
loved reading that Star Craft one, hits a great big nail on the head,
looking at the game system and design. Thanks for linking to it :)

Andrew