[game_preservation] How studios dispose of prototypes and libraries

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Fri Aug 21 22:18:25 EDT 2009

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Essentially it involves how we deal with games depicting objectionable

> material. I think what it comes down to is a situation similar to the

> Uncle Remus books, which are horribly offensive by today's standards but

> which have historical importance about the culture of the time. I think

> if you look at the worst examples from videogames, there's Custer's

> Revenge which is used as an example in many game studies books (such as

Wait-- there are *game studies* books? :)

Pursuant to my custom of adding tangentially relevant data to the
discussion, I read this blog post the other day:

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2009/08/well-consider-source.html

Relevant portion:

"if you're looking to the game developers of the world for political
correctness, you're looking in the wrong place. I never much liked Tomb
Raider as a game, but perhaps you'll appreciate it more if you
understand that the developers genuinely believed they were engaging in
revolutionary gender outreach by making the protagonist a woman with
large breasts, short shorts, and a gun."

And that was only 10 years ago.

--
-Mike Melanson