[game_preservation] National Game Registry Blog

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:12:28 EST 2009

Interesting. Without getting in to their definition of "video game",
took a look over some of the info and it's erroneous, which I'm
surprised at for the Library of Congress. Unless the errors were done
by the blogger? For example, the key personnel in both Computer
Space, Pong and Breakout.

Computer Space was done by Ted Dabney *and* Nolan Bushnell. Ted did
all the major circuitry design (spot generator, etc.), Nolan worked on
the finished product after selling it to Nutting.

Pong - Ralph didn't create the tennis game it was taken from, that was
one of the two people on his game system project, Bill Rusch.
Likewise, Al Alcorn was not the "programmer". The game has no CPU, it
was designed in pure TTL logic. Al would be the "engineer".

Breakout - The concept was by Nolan and Steve Bristow. Likewise,
Wozniak only did an early version of Breakout. Once again, this is a
pure logic TTL based game, no coding. The actual version of Breakout
released was engineered at Atari's Cyan labs by Gary Waters.

Marty