[game_preservation] National Game Registry Blog

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 12:40:03 EST 2009

I'm intending to head to the university and pick up that book today on the
TIX-0. I also located a paper trail through the old DECUS
Catalogs<http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/decus/programCatalogs/>for
PDP software, which contain descriptions of what the software is as
well
as who made it. If you can find the original program documents, they also
list the date of publication, which is quite useful (although I *am *feeling
a little gipped that most of the information is already on Wikipedia...).
Among the discoveries was a game of Khala from 1961. However, the trail is
incomplete: I can't locate catalogues from 1970 and 1971, which contain a
few pieces of software I'd like abstracts for. The 1972 updates list
software made after this time. Here are some PDP-8 software:

8-332 The Civil War Game
8-356 Pollution Game
8-359 HI-Q Game Playing Program

Otherwise, what you've just stated is that history chooses to remember what
it wants to remember, and this 'wanting to remember' is usually because
somebody has a vested interest in getting people to remember it (fame,
money, lawsuits). I think that's as much an interesting part of the story as
what was actually there.

The other things I'd add to your description is the greater ease of
availability of computer hardware, making the PDP-8 affordable to high
schools, as well as the presence of powerful, easy-to-learn programming
languages such as FOCAL (which Lunar Lander was written in) and BASIC, which
was ported to PDP-8 in 1971 by Richard Burgess (designer of the graphical
Lunar Lander). BASIC had its mainstream moment in 1973 with David Ahl's 101
BASIC Computer Games, many of which were ported from FOCAL.

-Devin

This combination of cheap with ease of use (relative) as well as exposure of
the hardware to high school kids is what encouraged many to get into
programming. Today, the equivalent of BASIC seems to be Flash, which has the
advantage of being more visual.

Regarding Steven Kent, most of my impressions came from the way the people
told their story. It was pretty easy to tell when Nolan Bushnell was just
talking, and being able to recognize that was important. Bushnell, after
all, had his training as a carny, getting people to play carnival games.
That's a fantastic skill that translates well into selling arcade machines
and getting people to play them (Pong and Chuck E Cheez being the triumphs).
However, on the design side, I don't really see him making many original
things - most of the games he's known for had already been built by somebody
else and he just found a way of making money off of them.