[game_preservation] National Game Registry Blog

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Dec 11 07:34:34 EST 2009

Fascinating discussion both! We're a bit out on the accurate resources
front. I am still slowly plodding away planning a bibliographic (and
other resource) database, where certainly comments on accuracy are going
to be a good thing to focus on for some of the major books and texts on
the subject.

I am also surprised that I never found this project run by the LoC. I
recall investigating what they were doing but never contacted them, I
might do so over this once I start to list all archives, museums,
displays, projects and resources next year.

Anyone can give me a shout here or off list if you want to remind me or
bring up anything (or want to participate as an expert), I can always
note it down in private before I get this resource site sorted, or at
least keep you in mind for expert advice - one of the problems with
inaccurate information and how it propagates is even good historians can
only do so much investigation. It might well be worth doing
mini-articles on specific historical facts - and how they do or don't
match up with real ones, especially if we can get places like Wikipedia
and Mobygames updated to reflect the much more accurate information, and
warn people about specific inaccurate points in books.

I wonder how other fields work with the problem of historical fact. As
noted, the 3 reasons why it gets muddled can happen to any area. Must be
one of those impossible-to-solve problems since we don't have any way of
recording literally everything, and no one's memory is that perfect!