[game_preservation] Authenticating factory sealed games

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sun Dec 13 13:35:12 EST 2009

Stuart Feldhamer wrote:

> We had a discussion about this on the Software Collectors’ mailing list

> some time back. I think Jim Leonard, who’s on this list also, could tell

> you some stories about how retailers used to reshrink stuff all the time.

I certainly could, as I worked for Babbage's and Egghead in the 1980s
and early 1990s. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask, but the
short answer is that it was common policy for reshrinking to happen all
the time. However, the reshrink was of noticably lower quality (rough
edges, harsher and more brittle plastic, etc.). It is pretty easy to
spot. We had a metal frame with a "sleeve" of shrinkwrap material going
through it; box was inserted into the sleeve, a hot wire was pressed
down to cut and seal one end, then the other end, then the entire thing
was heated slowly by hand with a blower that looked like an
industrial-strength hair dryer.

"Real" shrinkwrap is still slightly flexible, has clean edges, sometimes
has a hole-punch-sized hole in the center.

I briefly mention shrinkwrap and how opened games got back onto the
shelf in this blog post:
http://trixter.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/from-courier-to-supplier/
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/