[game_preservation] Preserving Flash Games

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 14:58:07 EST 2009

Actual videos playing through flash are another matter, those are
easily accessible and archivable via RealPlayer (which installs a
plugin in IE that allows you to download the video when you hover over
it).

Games themselves are a much more complicated matter, and it has little
to do with protection. Remember that games played over the web are
using web technology. That includes databases, server side scripts
and programs, graphic and sound resources stored separately and loaded
later (which is usually what the loading status bar is for). Very few
sizable flash games nowadays store everything in the client side
object (the .swf file that gets loaded in to your browser). About the
only thing you can archive with out direct access to the server to get
everything else, is the client side .swf.

The matter of archiving becomes a little easier when you're talking
about Flash games moving directly to the desktop via Adobe Air.

Marty