[game_preservation] Cataloging Standards?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Dec 22 18:58:02 EST 2009

Standards, "Best Practices" or "How to start to preserve digital games"
was going to be the focus of a second white paper (and perhaps
associated set of standards done by the SIG), as noted in the first
white paper at the end. Maybe this will get started next year sometime.

This was definitely going to be waited on until at least Henry Lowood
had finished the work on the MMO preservation and how he catalogued
that, so it could be used as an example, baseline or standard itself.
More examples are very much necessary - any standards are by definition
used by people because it is useful to them to use :)

You can check some past discussions from when Henry put up a bag of DOOM
material very relevant to this - didn't contain all the sort of
database/metadata info, but did contain what might be considered a good
collection of information to explain what DOOM was and is.

I think if you want to start putting up how you did your own standards,
and propose some - well, I highly encourage you to start something on
the wiki (messages here get lost or forgotten, I should know, I forget a
ton!) - I can create a relevant page if you want a start at it. Noting
something down to at least reference later saves us finding this
discussion in several months time, and also shows that "Yes, we're
looking at it by having people who actually do this put examples up" :)

Basically, why haven't we got a project already for this? It's honestly
just never really been discussed much. The physical archives all use
their own cataloguing (likely as not including custom fields to collate
groups of items) depending on their library system, archive system,
software they're using and so forth. Digital archives - well, there are
not many I know of, to be honest (on-line only ones tend to just have
big randomish databases). There might be some cross-archive discussion
already, likely so on the non-game side at least. Collections and
specific archives of course won't follow trends from anywhere - thus
your example.

I'm highly interested in this too, having some common ground on
searchable metadata fields would mean the world for researching the
history of games - certainly I'd love to see a collaborative database of
items that is searchable on-line for this kind of purpose since the
regional space between locations is so huge.