[game_preservation] Wikipedia thoughts?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jan 17 19:44:44 EST 2009

Hehe, pacman stuff :) I remember how vague all that stuff is.

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Unfortunately, because game history is often founded on such poor

> foundations, references go back to sources that were simply false,

> untrustworthy, or doubtful. This means we need real peer-review or

> cross-checking of sources, something that is kind of tough to do...

All of history can be revised with further evidence. The great thing is
that, despite the sources possibly being self-centred or just not good
at remembering things, it's a damn sight easier to get something off
those people then, as for most historians that deal with anything
earlier, dead people :)

One thing the SIG needs to do is press forward with the Oral Histories
suggestion. At GDC I intend to speak frankly about doing such interviews
via. Skype or somesuch, to at least get *something* (Because while I
would love to have the money, time and visa to do what Jason Scott has
done for BBS's and now Text Adventure games, I don't ;) ). Once there
are sources available, it'd make finding the historically accepted,
probable truth much easier.

Peer reviewed stuff would be nice. I wish I knew more about how to "do"
history, the SIG could help facilitate something of that sort once we're
more organised, or have people willing to put time into peer reviewing
items put forward (and we have a place to put said items! A journal
might be nice, a normal website or Mobygames is another possibility).

Bring these things up in other topics and we'll get on discussing them.
I'm interested in hearing on how peer reviewed history goes if there are
any historical experts on the SIG list.