[game_preservation] Spring Cleaning the SIG+2009 ideas (Please respond!)

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Jan 19 09:39:17 EST 2009

Yeah, I checked that out before responding myself. They take up to 50
votes per person, films must be 10 years old, and the votes are taken
into account. It's interesting as a system (I might also have to email
them about it, see how it is setup, how it runs in the background, etc.)

The problem? we're so unknown that even Videogame
museums/archives/collections don't know who we are. There simply isn't a
critical mass of experts in this SIG, and certainly any votes like that
for 50 games would be, well, a dozen or so maybe? It'd be a bit silly,
to be honest. It'd also have to be international, too, and for all the
good game fans there are some who love to ballot stuff. I'll have to do
some kind of online system I think if we did the public vote thing :)

We'd need to setup a proper site. Devin; to respond to Gamastura or
whatever, I have no idea about that, maybe that is a route. I still need
to build a site to host some information about the canon games (like the
NFR website to a degree, certainly better then a Wiki however, since it
needs forms for ballots etc.).

I think the reason Matteo Bittanti helped was he's part of the Stanford
stuff - http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/drupal/?q=blog/15
(and here: http://mbf.blogs.com/about.html ), so academically inclined
like Henry, and Christopher Grant was a journalist (and still, at
Joystiq, who did express some interest in hosting a monthly "Game of
Canon" or something), so had that perspective - it's important of course
not to just see what the developers and historians think is important,
but what the press and players think is important too. I also think they
were not just "oh, I have 2 picks, my faves can go in", they got discussed.

It was only a start, as far as I know Henry never intended it to be like
that forever or anything, but I doubt you could get a set of games
decided on using a complex system of voting (which needs to be done a
full year in advance) then having a larger set of experts deciding - in
2007, there were much less members here then there were now too :)

For last years I am sure Henry did some work on that and got 10 more
too, but I can't recall who he mentioned helping, I think Simon Carless
was involved too though.

I'll look into this though as a serious project if you have some more
ideas. Can you put forward what you think would be a "Perfect" system
for releasing up to 10 games per year into the Canon of games? How to
publicise it, maybe how to get public votes in, and how the panel can
decide on them and when in the year? (possibly do a years voting
starting January 1st, and decide the years entries in the month of
January onwards for the previous year - so 2009 would have games
released in 1998 or earlier added, etc....maybe do it monthly)

I'll jot down these ideas once people have had time to comment on the
entire list - I'll note down all of this, all of your concerns and also
"What is happening about the missing years" - we might just do a catchup
of them, who knows?

Andrew