[game_preservation] FW: Spring Cleaning the SIG+2009 ideas (Please respond!)

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Jan 19 11:39:47 EST 2009

Hmm, fair enough. I think possibly 2008 was a "bit dead" in certain
ways, but there was promise, and some gems (No More Heroes and Sins of a
Solar Empire both are outstanding fun, for instance. There were also a
few Indie games I'd put weight behind for Canon for inventiveness, like
Braid). The thing is, history doesn't work in "Years". There were some
points where gamers basically had a half-dozen "Must play" games in a
Christmas period. Such a Christmas-centric industry (for some bizarre
reasoning) makes it either a "Good" or "Bad" year, instead of those
successes being spread out more.

However, if you can remember off the top of your head even 5 games from
1998 that should be "canon" without checking release date lists, you'd
be better then me since I can't (it was a major year for sequels though,
since I know Opposing Force came out then for Half-Life) :)

Andrew