[game_preservation] FW: Spring Cleaning the SIG+2009 ideas (Please respond!)

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 14:06:42 EST 2009

Well, Ocarina of Time came out in '98. If that's not canonical, I don't know
what would be.

I actually don't think we need 10 canonical games to be made each year. I
think there are some years with film and literature where there really isn't
that much produced that's actually worth looking at (and some where it is a
'good year' or 'renaissance' and there are more than 10). Further, if you
took 10 things a year, your canon would begin to get very unwieldy (1000
films is already beyond the level where an ordinary person could know each
one intimately, and perhaps even see each one in a lifetime. Of course, we'd
have to do this for 100 years to get a thousand games, but by then I HOPE
we'll have more interesting games. I also think that before we get to that
point, there will probably be some changes to the system - for instance, how
can we go about preserving 10 other games when we can't preserve any of the
historical material regarding these others? Maybe we really do need more
than ten games to start with...

More importantly though, I'd like to know what the criteria were for
selecting a game for the DGC. They're oddly not listed on the wiki, and none
of the news articles say anything about it.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando