[game_preservation] Mobygames and KLOV

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:10:35 EST 2009

I know. As a player and a collector and a designer, I like to play what I
buy. However, I also know that opening that rare copy (or a game that might
become rare in the future) is going to detract from its value. As a result,
I sometimes end up having to buy two copies - a play copy and a collect
copy! Sometimes I'll even buy another copy of a game if I see one that is in
better shape, but today because Gamestop no longer sells classic games, it
is very difficult to find old games for low prices because the few stores
that are left have no competition and so can charge as much as they want.
Ten years ago it was good to start collecting, but today, you will have to
pay more or scrounge the hell out of e-bay, flea markets, and Goodwill
(though those were also strategies back then, too).

I've also discovered that disc quality is also important - whether or not
the disc has scratches or was resurfaced. Makes me wish I'd bought a few
extra copies of rarer games like Valkyrie Profile and Persona 2 I saw
instead of 'leaving them there for someone who didn't have one' (I also have
a friend who wanted a copy!). A lot of my games have turned out to be
resurfaced, but thankfully they are still readable - as long as the data is
there and readable, I think that is ok in terms of preservation.

I know sometimes it is also out of necessity for documentation that a game
must be opened. For instance, if the only copy of a game is shrinkwrapped,
then how can we document the instruction manual (or the art inside the
manual for that matter)? In other cases, this can involve the risky and
tricky process of scanning strategy guides without bending the guide (I
still don't have a solution for this one!). This is always a tough decision.

-Devin

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando