[game_preservation] Maze Wars video

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 25 00:12:22 EST 2009

Devin, Devin, Devin ...

YouTube!? There's an archived copy in our project's very own the
Preserving Virtual Worlds collection. A little love please. :-)
http://www.archive.org/details/vw_mazewar-on-alto-deposition
Many thanks to Bruce Damer for saving this important documentation. If
you download it, the quality is much better than the YouTube version, if
I say so myself.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Here is a video of Maze Wars running on the Alto:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chDIySXK2Q&NR=1

> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chDIySXK2Q&NR=1>

> I LOL'd when he stuck the disk drive into the thing - that is the size

> of three stacked pizza's!

> The video could be a LITTLE bit better by describing the controls

> (particularly what happens when one player 'shoots' the other). I

> think this is good to demonstrate as evidence as it lets us know

> exactly the kinds of questions we might have about the game (certainly

> you can see the hands typing as they play, but we don't know exactly

> what they're using as controls...I'm suspecting WASD for movement).

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_wars

> The book I'm currently reading (despite my supposed focus on research

> for another paper...) is Dealers of Lightning. About 1/3 of the way

> through, Hiltzik begins discussing the (in)famous "Spacewar" article

> in Rolling Stone. However, before that, there is an interesting comment:

> [On Jack Goldman visiting the PARC facility before the article was run]

> "The lights would all be lit and dozens of people around, even if it

> was nine or ten at night. Often they were playing computer games. Now,

> just remember, in those days computer games were not what they are

> today. This was a new thing. These guys were literally inventing

> computer games and learning how to use the machine." (154)

> Now there's no discussion about what kinds of games they played, and

> the Spacewar article doesn't even talk about them playing games at

> PARC (just that they wanted the Dynabook to run Spacewar):

> http://www.wheels.org/spacewar/stone/rolling_stone.html

> I think this develops an interesting question: What, if anything, were

> the PARC guys playing in 1972? If they were "inventing computer

> games", there has to be some record of this. What I'm most interested

> in is whether they were just making variations of Spacewar (and

> perhaps what kind those were). Peter Deutsch, one of the Spacewar

> guys, was working at PARC at the time - maybe he knows. I just find it

> pretty odd that out of all the games they could have made from 1962 to

> 1972, Spacewar (and variations) is the only one that gets mentioned

> (well, aside from Tennis for Two). There's a solar system lander game

> that gets mentioned, along with versions of Draughts, Checkers (and of

> course Chess), but other than that...nothing! Why IS that?

> (incidentally, that's another of my thesis questions - for another

> paper I'm not supposed to be working on yet :P)

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_history_of_video_games

> "Until next time..."

> Captain Commando

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602