[game_preservation] Welcome to new members

Christian McCrea saccharinmetric at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 22:55:25 EST 2009

Hi everybody,

My name is Christian McCrea, I am a recent addition too, I'm a
Lecturer at Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne,
Australia, as part of the Games and Interactivity group there. I have
a research/historical bent, especially interested in arcades past and
present, though more generally game history (and its preservation) are
close to my heart.

I recently came across some treasured objects from childhood; four
Game and Watch games including the somewhat unusual CrabGrab. One of
them, Parachute, has not been touched for over 20 years, and the
original (rusting) battery, still has some life in it. I used to flip
the batteries upside down when I wasn't using them. I'm either wrong
about it being in a box for that time, or these things were built to
last. Gunpey Yokoi's maxim of 'lateral thinking on withered
technology' certainly trumps, say, the PC version of Gears of War,
which had DRM that stopped working today, just eight months after
release.

This seems like a great little list to be a part of, I hope I can
contribute something to one of the projects, or at least the
discussions.

Thanks,

-Christian McCrea